What is the Canada Greener Homes Grant?
The Canada Greener Homes Grant is an initiative through the government of Canada to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from homes, which in turn will benefit the environment and reduce the cost of living as homes become more energy-efficient. Up to 700,000 grants of $5,000 will be made available to Canadian homeowners who upgrade their homes with energy-efficient retrofits, and this increase in the need for EnerGuide energy advisors will make more Canadian jobs available!
Who Is Eligible?
You may be eligible for The Canada Greener Homes Grant if you are:
- A homeowner in Canada (regardless of location)
- Able to provide proof that your property is your primary residence
- The only owner of your household who has applied for the program
What Property Types are Eligible?
Your property may be eligible for The Canadian Greener Homes Grant if it is:
- A single or semi-detached home
- A rowhouse
- A townhouse
- An all-seasons cottage
- A mobile home on a permanent foundation
- A permanently moored floating home
- A small multi-unit residential building (residential only)
- A mixed-use building (residential only)
Unfortunately, new homes are not eligible for The Canadian Greener Homes Grant
Which Retrofits are Eligible?
The retrofits that are eligible under The Canadian Greener Homes Grant include:
- Up to $5,000 for home insulation
- Up to $1,000 for air-sealing
- Up to $5,000 for window and door ENERGY STAR replacements
- Up to $50 for a Smart Thermostat to replace your regular thermostat
- Up to $5,000 to make the switch to energy-efficient heating
- Up to $5,000 for switching your home system to a renewable energy source like solar panels
- Up to $2,625 for resiliency measures to protect your home from environmental damages (must be combined with another retrofit)
What are the Requirements for the Initiative?
In order to be eligible for The Canada Greener Homes Grant you are required to:
- Fill out a pre and post EnerGuide evaluation
- Complete at least one (1) retrofit for your home that has been recommended by your energy guide, otherwise you will not be reimbursed
- Provide and keep all of your documents until March 31, 2028
- All products must be purchased in Canada and from Canadian websites
- A maximum of one (1) person per household is allowed to register
- Demonstrate that the property is your primary residence
What is Eligible for Reimbursement?
Once the retrofits are completed, you are eligible for:
- Up to $5,000 total for the implementation of eligible retrofits done after December 1, 2020
- Up to $600 for your pre and post EnerGuide evaluations (participants are only eligible if they continue the EnerGuide evaluation through the whole Greener Homes Grant Process)
Looking to make the switch to energy-efficient heating?
Contact Spring Home Heating & Cooling and learn how you could save up to $5,000 through the Canada Greener Homes Grant!