Purchasing a new air conditioner for your home can be a large investment. It’s only natural that homeowners want to get the most out of their AC before it’s time to replace it once again down the road. If you’re interested in learning more about the average lifespan of an air conditioner and how to make yours last as long as possible, here’s what you need to know.
How Long Does The Average AC Last?
The average lifespan of a traditional central AC is between fifteen and twenty years of consistent summertime use. While twenty years seems like a decent amount of time, poor or neglectful care of your AC can hinder its ability to last that long. Fortunately, there are several ways to prolong the lifespan of your air conditioner to make sure you get the most out of your investment.
How To Ensure Your AC Will Last As Long As Possible
Prolonging the lifespan of your air conditioner is actually very simple. There are a few different maintenance tasks that any homeowner can do to help their AC last as long as possible. These tasks include:
- Changing your furnace filter at least once every three to six months
- Keeping vent registers clean and free from blockage
- Calling for repair as soon as you notice an issue
- Keeping your outdoor unit clean
- Using a programmable thermostat
- Scheduling annual preventative maintenance
Signs That It’s Time To Replace Your Air Conditioner
Once your air conditioner begins to get up in age, it’s usually only a matter of time before general wear and tear begin to take its course. Even the most well-maintained and cared-for air conditioners have a limited lifespan. Signs that it’s time to replace your air conditioner include:
- Your air conditioner is between 15 and 20 years old
- Unusual sounds
- Unpleasant smells
- A more frequent need for repair
- Uneven or inadequate cooling
- An increase in energy costs and consumption
Have you scheduled a maintenance appointment for your AC this year?
The experts at Spring Home are here to help!
The Spring Home team has been servicing the HVAC needs of the GTA for over 15 years. Our award-winning team of licensed technicians is committed to providing our clients with service they can trust and equipment they can rely on.